Wednesday, October 7, 2009

After mulling it over... Another Echo in the Bone review

I have been spending much of my time reading other people's reviews of Echo in the Bone and while I can understand people's contentions, I heartily disagree with them. I have mulled over the book and am now ready to give a more in depth review of the book, rather than just my initial reaction to the plot points.

Personally, I loved it.

I definately wish the book had gone on for longer so that some of the stories had been wrapped up, but that is small potatoes. I mean, sure right away I thought the world would end if I didn't find out what happens next, but in a couple years the next book will come out and then we will know. What all of the readers have to remember is that these books are not stories about a single problem or life event that got resolved- these books are a story about a life and a family. In real life, problems are not all wrapped up at the end 900 pages of writing. I look of the Outlander books as a continuing story that keeps going. Sure, we are frustrated for a short time because we are left with a lot of burning questions, but for one, we will gain distance from the story even before the next book comes out, and for second, when the series is eventually done we will be able to put down this book, and pick up the next. What's a short wait in the whole scheme of things if it leaves us with a better story?

Some people are frustrated because we see less of Claire and Jamie in this book. I think it is great that we have expanded whose views we are seeing things. We see so much more of the story and see it through so many viewpoints. I think it makes for a richer story. William is now an awesome three dimensional character instead of just a flat character. Why would we complain about having more well rounded characters that change? We are getting more, not less.

Personally I can't believe that people are frustrated with the surgury and other healing scenes- people, it was in ALL the previous books!!! Personally, that is some of my favorite parts of the series! The same thing goes for the details about the armies- it was in all the previous books! This is what Jamie and Claire are good at, what they do, what their purpose is- she is a healer, he is a 'bloody man.' They are both trying to change the world for the better. Focusing on la-la-la we love each other doesn't move the story along- focusing on we-love-each-other-while-we-support-each-other-on-our-life's-work- THAT is the story of a marriage, moves the story along, and makes it real.

No comments: